REVIEW – As I continue to work on testing and reviewing products, I have found that videos add a lot of value to the review and to the interest of readers. A great tool for recording on the go and for adding interest and flexibility is a gimbal. Over the years I have tested a few that were just ok, but I have heard that great improvements have been made since. Let’s see if this Hohem iSteady Mobile Plus Gimbal is one of the better ones.
What is it?
The Hohem iSteady Mobile Plus Gimbal is an orthogonal 3-Axis Gimbal that works with an iSteady 6.0 Anti-Shake Algorithm.
What’s in the box?
- 1 x iSteady Mobile+
- 1 x Tripod
- 1 x USB-C Charging Cable
- 1 x Carry Case
- 1 x User Manual
Product Type: 3-Axis Smartphone Gimbal
Model: iSteady Mobile+ 2022
Dimension (mm): 12*5*2inch
Weight: 474g including battery
Material: High-performance composite
Mobile Width Supported: 58mm~89mm
Mechanical Range: Panning: 600°; Rolling: 320°; Tilting: 320°
Motors Protection: Gimbal will be powered off automatically due to improper operation of the motors
Capacity: 1800mAh*2 7.4V 13.32Wh
Battery Life: Up to 13 hours (Under ideal conditions with the gimbal fully balanced）
Charging Time: 2 hours (5V 2A)
Working Temperature: -10~45℃
Splash Proof: IPX4 rating water splash proof, is resistant to water splashes from any direction.
App: Hohem Joy
Design and features
- iSteady 6.0 stabilization: Its iSteady 6.0 anti-shake algorithm and orthogonal 3-axis design make it unique in creating ultra-smooth video while allowing movements from all angles.
- 600° Spin Shot: The pan motor can see its 600° rotation to do an incredible spin shooting(inception mode), which makes your films more captivating.
- Quick Switch Between Landscape & Portrait Mode: Just manually rotate the roll axis arm while holding the gimbal horizontally.
- Power Your Phone: Up to 13h battery life, phone charging while shooting.
- App Hohem Joy: One-tap blockbusters with plenty of video templates in Moment Mode, such as Inception, CloneMe, DollyZoom, and Timelapse, among others. You will also enjoy more accurate face&object tracking.
The Hohem iSteady Mobile Plus Gimbal is made mostly of metal. It is lightweight and like all other gimbals feature a spring-loaded adjustable phone gimbal on top and the controls and connectivity on the handle. At the bottom of the handle, there is a 1/4″ – 20 tripod mount.
Setting up the Hohem iSteady Mobile Plus Gimbal is very easy. You just need to charge the gimbal via the USB-C port and then it is ready to go. They are 4 LED green lights that indicate the charge level. There is a USB-A port above the USB-C port that allows you to charge your phone as well.
The Hohem iSteady Mobile Plus gimbal is very easy to set up and to start using. It is easy to balance and all of the functions worked flawlessly.
The Hohem iSteady Mobile Plus Gimbal works with the Hohem Joy app:
It does feel a bit light compared to other similar brands I have tested, but this does not affect any functionality. It is quite cold in NY now, so I did not get to shoot any videos outdoors in the nature preserve. However, here is a diagram of how the controls work and video footage using it:
I also took a snapshot to see how it performed:
What I like
- It is well built
- The Bluetooth connection is solid
- Very nice control features
- The POV shooting feature
- The Object Tracking feature
- The ability to charge my phone via the gimbal
- The removable tripod
- The carrying case
What I’d change
- The carrying case should have a handle
The Hohem iSteady Mobile Plus is a nice gimbal that provides very steady and creative photos and videos. It is sturdy albeit a bit light and all of the controls work via Bluetooth and work well. I give this gimbal a well done!!
Where to buy: Hohem website and Amazon
Source: The sample of this product was provided by Hohem