Are icons on your Windows 10 start menu flickering, and you are unable to select anything? You are in luck as this guide teaches how to fix start menu flickering in Windows 10.
We will be learning how to fix this issue with three different methods. The first method entails stopping the Windows Shell Experience Host in the computer’s task manager.
The second method involves running Hardware and Device Troubleshooter. Meanwhile, the third method involves updating the display driver of your Windows 10 computer.
Besides, this guide includes an FAQ section that answers some of the most asked questions about the topic in discussion. Hence, sit tight as we learn how to fix the start menu flickering issue in Windows 10.
One way to fix start menu flickering in Windows 10 is to stop Windows Shell Experience Host. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Right-click the Start menu and select Task Manager
- When the Task Manager window opens, click the drop-down beside More details.
- After doing that, press the Name button to sort the processes alphabetically from Z to A
- Thereafter, locate and select Windows Shell Experience Host. Then, click the End task button at the bottom right corner of the window.
If you have applied the steps in my first method above, check whether the problem is resolved. If the problem is fixed, you do not need to try any of the methods below.
However, if the problem is still not fixed, try my second recommended fix to the Windows 10 start menu flickering issue.
How To Fix Start Menu Flickering In Windows 10 By Running Hardware And Device Troubleshooter
Another way to fix the start menu flickering issue in Windows 10 is to run Hardware and Device Troubleshooter. Follow the steps below to achieve this.
- Type “cmd” in the search field and select the Command Prompt application from the search result.
- When the Command Prompt application opens, type the commands below.
msdt.exe -id DeviceDiagnostic
- After inputting the commands, the Hardware and Devices troubleshooting windows should appear almost instantly. Then, select Next.
- After clicking Next, it should begin to detect the start menu flickering problem, among other problems, and provide a solution.
After the troubleshooter runs, if it detects any problem, it will try to fix it.
I am hoping that one of the above methods would have fixed the problem for you. However, if your Windows 10 start menu is still flickering after trying the above two solutions, try my last fix below.
You can also fix the start menu flickering issue in your Windows 10 PC by updating the display driver. In order to achieve this, follow the steps below.
- Right-click the Windows Start icon and select Device Manager.
- After that, double-click Display adapters or click the drop-down beside it.
- Thereafter, right-click your computer’s display driver and select Update Driver from the options.
- Then, select Search Automatically for drivers. Hence, Windows 10 will download and install the latest display driver for your computer.
Also, make sure you restart your computer immediately after installing the latest driver. Otherwise, the changes won’t take effect on your computer.
If you want to restart your Windows 10 PC without the start menu, follow the steps below.
a) Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete on your keyboard.
b) After that, select the Power icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
c) Select Restart from the options that appear.
In most cases, this behavior is a result of a stuck key that is creating the equivalent of a mouse right-click. Specifically, Shift + F10 or the Menu key can both produce this behavior.
To fix the issue, the only thing you need to do is to get the stuck keys unstuck.
You can simply update your computer’s display driver to fix the flickering bar issue in your Windows 10 PC. To do so, follow the steps below.
a) Press Windows + R keys simultaneously on your keyboard, type “devmgmt.msc”, then press enter.
b) Locate and double-click Display adapters from the list.
c) Right-click your display driver and select Update Driver.
d) Select the first option, then restart your computer when the latest driver has been downloaded and installed on your computer.
By the way, make sure your computer is connected to the internet during this process. This is because Windows 10 will search the internet for the latest display driver.
Screen flickering in Windows 10 is mostly caused by a display driver issue or incompatible applications.
Your computer screen may be flashing on and off because your computer’s monitor is failing.
You might be scared when the icons on your Windows 10 start menu begin to flicker. However, there is no cause for an alarm as it isn’t a major issue.
Nonetheless, I explained three ways to solve the problem in this guide. To be more specific, we discussed how to fix the issue by stopping Windows Shell Experience Host.
We also learned how to fix the start menu flickering issue in Windows 10 by running Hardware And Device Troubleshooter. Lastly, I provided steps on how to fix the problem by updating your computer’s display driver.
Hence, if you follow the steps in this guide thoroughly, you shouldn’t have a problem fixing the issue!
I hope you found this guide helpful. If you did, kindly spare two minutes to share your experience with our community at Itechguides Community Forum.
However, if the steps did not fix your problem or you have any questions concerning the guide, please post your question at Itechguides Community Forum. We have a dedicated team that will get back to you with a fix as soon as possible.
Besides, other Itechguides Community Forum members can also help.
Finally, for more Windows 10 fix-it guides, visit our Windows 10 Fix-it guides page.
References And Further Reading
- answers.microsoft.com – Flickering Start Menu – Windows 10
- appuals.com – Fix: Windows 10 Start Menu Flickering
- minitool.com – Fixed! Hardware and Device Troubleshooter Is Missing Windows 10 [MiniTool Tips]
- Itechguides Community Forum